The upgrade program from IAHD 'Confined Water Diver' to 'Open Water Diver' has been especially developed for confined water divers who want to take the next step and explore the underwaterworld of the open water environment together with one or more buddy's with the necessary Partner Level.
Because the requirements are higher than for a “Confined Water Diver”, the theoretical and practical sections are more detailed.
The IAHD “Open Water Diver upgrade” course consists of the following sections:
In this section, the trainee will learn how to use the IAHD dive planner so that he or she can independently plan dives, calculating the safe dive time and depth limits. The trainee will also learn how a compass works and how to navigate underwater using natural navigation techniques and a dive compass. In addition, the trainee will learn how to inspect and maintain dive equipment.
In this section the trainee will, together with an Instructor, dive in a swimming pool or confined water to learn some more advanced dive skills. Some Confined Water skills will also be repeated.
Open Water Skills:
In this part you exercise all the skills one more time, along with your diving instructor. In addition, you will learn some navigation skills and will make some deeper dives than you was allowed to during the 'confined water diver' certification.
• Certified as an IAHD “Confined Water Diver” or equivalent;
• Minimum 14 years of age;
• Competent swimmer (swimming diploma not necessary);
• Medical Statement approved by a physician (no more than one year old);
• Signed Certificate of Understanding.
• Carry out non-decompression dives with Scuba equipment;
• Dive to a maximum depth of 20 metres;
• May dive together with one or more divers (dependant upon the partner level).