The IAHD Confined Water Diver course is developed for people with physical or (minor) mental disabilities, who want to learn to dive but cannot, or do not want to, dive in open water.
The theory and swimming pool dive skills are identical to those of the Open Water Course, but dives are only made in a swimming pool or confined water. No open water dives are made. On completion of the course, the diver is certified to dive in a swimming pool or comparable confined water environment.
The IAHD “Confined Water Diver” course is comprised of the following modules:
In this section, you learn how dive equipment works and what requirements dive equipment must meet. You are also taught how the body reacts in an underwater environment and of course, safety both underwater and at the waters edge is covered in detail.
In this section, you will, together with an Instructor, dive in a swimming pool or confined water to learn how to use dive equipment and how to behave in an underwater environment.
Confined Water Skills:
In this section, the trainee will demonstrate that he or she can put all the acquired knowledge and skills into practice. Under guidance of a IAHD instructor in a confined water environment, the trainee will repeat the skills that were learnt during the 'Practical Skills' section. The trainee will experience the freedom and weightlessness of the breath-taking underwater world.
• Minimum 12 years of age;
• Competent swimmer (swimming diploma not necessary);
• Medical Statement approved by a physician (no more than one year old);
• Signed Certificate of Understanding.
• Carry out non-decompression dives using scuba equipment;
• Dive to a maximum depth of 12 metres;
• Only diving in a pool or confined water;
• Only dive under the direct supervision of an IAHD Instructor Assistant or higher in active status (or equivalent);
• An IAHD Instructor Assistant may supervise a maximum of 4 IAHD Confined Water Divers.
This IAHD course is ISO 24801-1 certified. This means that this IAHD course meets the highest international standards for quality and safety.
For IAHD divers certified as a 'Confined Water Diver', there is a special IAHD "upgrade" course so that they can become an 'Open Water Diver'.